Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Chicken Soup for the Soul: It's Christmas Review

Stay up to date with everything on Book Worm & More by Subscribing to our Email.




As most of you know, I am part of the Chicken Soup for the Soul network. So, I get to pick and review any of the new books that come out. I am sure that almost everyone knows about the Chicken Soup for the Soul books. However, for those that don’t, Chicken Soup for the Soul books are collections of short stories sent in by real people about their own lives and experiences, or sometimes about the lives and experiences of close friends or relatives. These books are always at the top of the best sellers list.


Chicken Soup for the Soul: It's Christmas: 101 Joyful Stories about the Love, Fun, and Wonder of the Holidays by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, and Amy Newmark are full of these stories that make the Holidays so special.

I love Christmas.  I have wonderful memories of spending Christmas at my grandmother's house when I was little.  I hope I have given my children some of these great memories, too.  Christmas is not about material things like all of the companies out there try to promote.  I mean really.  Do you remember all of the Christmas presents you received?  or do you remember the love and time spent with family?  Or those special gifts that had real meaning that didn't necessarily cost much but really meant a lot?  I think it is time for us all to go back to the true meaning of Chritmas and to emjoy time spent with friends and family.

When I first opened this book, the first story I opened up to was "The Best Christmas Ever".  I almost started crying.  That would not have been good since I was in class.  It is truly touching and embodies the true spirit of Christmas.  It is truly touching and embodies the true spirit of Christmas.  It is the story of 2 young girls who visit the dentist's office before Christmas.  When asked what they wanted for Christma, the youngest tells the dental assistant that Santa wasn't going to visit them because their dad didn't have money to pay Santa.  The young girl was still happy and couldn't wait to spend Christmas with their family.  The girl said it was going to be The Best Christmas Ever.  The family didn't even have a Christmas tree.  After the family left, the dentist's office came together and decided to tell the family they won a raffle for the office Christmas tree and decorations.  Then on Christmas Eve night, they dropped off Christmas presents and a turkey with all of the trimmings in the front yard.  The dental assistant could just imagine the girl telling everyone - I told you it would be the Best Christmas Ever.  This is what Christmas is about helping others and giving joy and happiness.  It is not about what latest gadget you get.

I love this feeling that this story and so many others in this books gives me.  In fact, I think it would be great to read a different story as a family each night until Christmas.  This could become a wonderful tradition and help everyone in the family remember what Christmas is about.  You could rotate who gets to pick a story each night or what chapter the story should come from.  Here are the chapters you can choose from:

  1. The True Meaning
  2. Miracles Happen
  3. Santa's Elves
  4. From the Mouths of Babes
  5. Bark! The Herald Angels Sing
  6. The Naughty List
  7. A Little Help from My Friends
  8. Holiday Hijinks
  9. Bittersweet Christmas
  10. Making Memories

One of the things people, especially children, like about Chicken Soup for the Soul books is that you do not have to read this from cover to cover. You can skip around from story to story reading the ones that pique your interest. This makes it the perfect book for those that are not big readers.

I highly recommend this book, Chicken Soup for the Soul: It's Christmas: 101 Joyful Stories about the Love, Fun, and Wonder of the Holidays. These books make great gifts, especially for those hard to buy for people.

If you are not ready to purchase a copy, or you would like another copy for someone else, you can try to win one. Check out my giveaway post where I am giving away 3 copies of Chicken Soup for the Soul: It's Christmas: 101 Joyful Stories about the Love, Fun, and Wonder of the Holidays.

Image Credit: Amazon
  

No comments:

Post a Comment